Wednesday, October 18, 2006

thoughts from the head of me

My mind was blown yesterday. I was buzzing like a very large buzzing thing, and not just because I'd had too much caffeine. I went and saw David Suzuki talk about his life. He's in Australia promoting his autobiography. It was a fabulous talk that was far too short, despite being 1.5hours long. I could go on and on about it, but time constraints mean that I can only tell you a few things about it.
-I got Dr Suzuki to sign a copy of my 'an intoduction to genetic analysis' textbook. It was my textbook for my second year genetics course. The first time I'd managed to score a H1 (first class honours) grade during my undergraduate years. We briefly discussed my PhD topic!
-I found out that long distance relationships where the female partner moves away to study do work.
-I'm totally inspired now to do my bit for the world. Not that I wasn't trying already, but it was just inspirational to hear him talk about all the things that had happened in his life to do with conservation. So inspired.


In other news, I was shopping in the local mall recently. I was thinking about getting some makeup or something similar to aid my appearance at a friend's upcoming wedding. I'm not much of a girly girl and rarely wear the stuff. While wandering through the cosmetics section of Kmart (yes, I'm the last of the big time spenders), I saw the concealers. It reminded me of when I was 12 or 13. I went with a friend to Greensborough Plaza. I wanted to get some lipstick. She got something pink, I wanted something 'natural'. With my absolute lack of makeup knowledge, I ended up buying concealer. The stuff you are supposed to cover zits with. We went to the ladies to try on our purchases. I can only imagine what the other women using the facilities must have thought of me, trying on my 'lipstick'. No wonder I've never really gotten into the whole makeup thing, it's too confusing. I think I'll rely on my small collection of makeup items to beautify myself at the wedding. It's all too much effort. I may not even bother. 2 weeks to go today until I leave for Brisvegas. Wish me fun and no sunburn.

No comments: